Re: Spammers spoofing my "from" addr

On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 10:06, Trevor Smith wrote:
> Is there anything I *can* do? Am I ultimately going to be cut off from parts
> of the 'net because it *looks* like *I* am spamming? Surely this can't be the
> case or you could get anyone "banned" from certain servers just by spoofing
> their "from" address and breaking the rules. No?

A bit off topic but the public spam fighting lists are pretty full of
raving lunatics these days so I'd avoid the on topic lists if I were
you.

The only way to stop the forgeries is legal action and that's rarely
worth the expense. Heavy hitters like AOL and MSN/Hotmail have taken
action and it's not stopped people from forging them.

These days most mail server admins know better than to block based on
from address. It's rare when it's not a forgery on most spam. They
instead block based on IP and as long as your IP space is not implicated
in a spam, you should be okay.

The few places that will block on from addresses are probably places you
won't be exchanging mail with anyway.
--
Mike Lyman <mlyman-linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>