Re: Help needed with SanDisk CRUZER memory stick

Caleb Rodriguez wrote:

Thank you that kind of seemed to work for me as well. The only catch is
that only root can mount the drive which i should be able to change the
permissions. When I do attempt to mount the drive I get the following:

root@localhost etc]# mount /dev/sda1
mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

Can you help me with this please?
Thank you

I got the following from reading "man mount". I changed it a bit to match the /dev/sda1 device.

(iii) Normally, only the superuser can mount file systems. However,
when fstab contains the user option on a line, then anybody can mount
the corresponding system.

Thus, given a line
/dev/sda1 /mnt/memstick vfat rw,user,noauto,unhide 0 0
any user can mount the vfat file system found on his memorystick using the
command
mount /dev/sda1
or
mount /mnt/memstick
For more details, see fstab(5).

I have always used root to deal with my vfat filesystem transfers. I assume that the user option, instead of the owner option, will allow any user to mount and transfer ifo to the flash stick.

A google search might give you a better and easier to understand "how to" for mounting vfat devices as user controlled devices.

Jim