nfs version problem?

I am attempting to get a redhat 8.0 server and a fedora server to
talk.   Specifically to nfs mount the updates.   The 8.0 server exports
/home/updates/fedora and the fedora server mounts them.   (I have
starred out the name of the nfsserver.)

[root@richtest root]# mount -o soft ***********:/home/updates/fedora /updates
[root@richtest root]# cd /updates
[root@richtest updates]# ls
epic-1.0.1-16.i386.rpm
ethereal-0.9.16-2.FC1.1.i386.rpm
ethereal-gnome-0.9.16-2.FC1.1.i386.rpm
gaim-0.74-5.i386.rpm
glibc-2.3.2-101.1.i386.rpm
glibc-2.3.2-101.1.i686.rpm

however I can't do anything with the files. rpm,cp,mv,... etc.. causes the
shell to stop responding and the system to issue a whole bunch of the following

Dec 11 13:39:33 richtest kernel: nfs: server ********.***.** not responding, still trying
Dec 11 13:39:41 richtest kernel: nfs: server ************** not responding, still trying
Dec 11 13:41:14 richtest kernel: nfs: server ************** OK

What is weird is that the rest of my 8.0 machines work just fine with the nfs server and
the fedora servers can nfs amoungst themselves just fine. Anyone have any information
on what might be wrong? These machines are all on a 100mbit LAN and all (save the
fedora boxes) have the latest patches.

Rich