Re: Open Source, Free Software, and Public Domain

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 05:25:22PM -0600, Exile In Paradise wrote:
[...]
> Public domain is the only truly *free* software in the sense of speech,
> OR beer, or any other sense.

I still think this depends entirely of your definition of "free".

"public domain" (and the BSD licence, which isn't that different with
regard to the implications) opt for the "freedom of use" - you can do
anything you like with the software and nobody can stop you. This
*includes* putting it into proprietary software and hiding
enhancements etc.

The GPL - as I understands it - aims at "freedom of the software"
(sounds odd, but I can't think of a better term right now), i.e. it
protects the existence and the development of the software by making
certain that all enhancements/changes/developments (within the limits
of the GPL) have to be made public as well as enabling *everybody* to
modify/enhance/develop said software.

They are just different goals and philosophies and in my eyes, both
are a valid choice.

Cheerio,

Thomas
                Thomas Ribbrock    http://www.ribbrock.org