Re: avoid nvidia?

Charles Curley wrote:

Heck, check out Walmart.com. They ship boxen to the US with Lindows
for $US200 & up, plus shipping. Noisy, though.

I did buy a $200 USD Walmart.com PC. At the time, they advertised a 900Mhz Duron for that price, but they shipped a 1.2Ghz Duron instead. That's the good news.

It came with Lindows or Lycoris and, after I applied the "updates" the OS no longer booted, no big deal since I was going to use Debian or RedHat anyway.

One important thing to note, the video is one of those shared-memory things, my first experience with this sort of thing. The video in this machine is very, very slow. Too slow to use as even a 2d workstation really. Even my old 300Mhz PII's are a *lot* faster in X. In all, the machine's not bad for a cheap home server or test machine, but I wouldn't buy one thinking it'd be an inexpensive desktop replacement. I guess you could use an old PCI video card for better performace.

Oh yeah, and Walmart are the devil. :)

Peter