see if there is any corruption, though I don't think there would be.

Corey

BTW it's a Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 40GB 7200RPM drive.

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 04:33, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Corey Taylor [mailto:lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 2:48 PM
To: Fedora Users
Subject: RE: dma error on startup

The drive is not really that old. I bought it at Best Buy a few months
ago. Though I think it has been manufactured for a couple years now by
Seagate. I know it is a UDMA 100 drive, 7200RPM.

In that case, the 40pin cable _could_ be the problem. I know for a fact that
depending on some drive firmwares, the usage of a 40pin over a 80pin
cable(what it was designed for) would currupt the data on the drives.

HTH

OW

Usually, you will only lose half of your speed capability. It should not corrupt the data. On some work computers that use the Juki half-sized boards, the speed is halved from 100 MHz/second to a maximum of 50 MHz/ second.

Anyway, your transfer rate should be greatly improved with the 80-pin cable. The error message was good for something. (Leading to getting a better cable)

Jim