Re: [RFC] USB driver for talking to the Microchip PIC18 boot loader

On Dec 30, 2007 11:53 AM, mgross <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yeah, it has been done from user space using a libusb based
> application.  (that didn't work with a usb-hub in the loop) and had
> code that was just too nasty for words, so I made a kernel driver that
> looks nicer to me and enables a nice python FW loader program to work.

http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=275422&mpage=2
Just a guess why it does not work: this might be due to the auto-suspend.
If you update your kernel, it should be ok. The firmware is also to blame.

> What is the linux-usb policies on new drivers that could be
> implemented in user space?  When does a kernel driver make  sense over
> a libusb one?

That would be interesting to know.

Xiaofan