Re: Top 9 kernel oopses/warnings for the week of December 29th, 2007

On 2007.12.29 11:18:18 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> >
> > It has been a quiet week due to the holidays, only 55 oops traces
> > have been collected.
>
> This would be more useful if it was more readable. As it is, you seem to
> have some formatting errors in your automation, where the things are
> incorrectly grouped:
>
> > Rank 1: sysctl_head_finish
> > 	sysctl table check failed
> > 	Reported 7 times
> > 	Only reported for the proprietary madwifi driver
> > 	More info: http://www.kerneloops.org/search.php?search=sysctl_head_finish
> > 	Rank 2: __ieee80211_rx
> > 	Warning at net/mac80211/rx.c:1672
>
> ie notice how that "Rank 2" got reported as if it was part of the "Rank 1"
> issue.

Shows up correctly here. Random guess is that your MUA treats tabs like
spaces when it sees format=flowed. The lines between the different ranks
weren't empty but had a single tab. And for whatever reason (I don't see
any trailing spaces), Arjan's mail had a format=flowed header.

AFAIK, only SPACE CRLF is valid for line-continuation with
format=flowed, not TAB CRLF.  So the above formatting would be the
result of a pointless format=flowed header meeting a MUA that was too
eager searching for line continuations.

Björn