Re: [Patch v2] Make PCI extended config space (MMCONFIG) a driver opt-in

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Jeff Garzik wrote:
2) [non-minor] hmmmm.

	[jgarzik@core ~]$ lspci -n | wc -l
	23

So I would have to perform 23 sysfs twiddles, before I could obtain a full and
unabridged 'lspci -vvvxxx'?

Or you force it on with "pci=mmconfig" or something at boot-time.

But yes. The *fact* is that MMCONFIG has not just been globally broken, but broken on a per-device basis. I don't know why (and quite frankly, I doubt anybody does), but the PCI device ID corruption happened only for a specific set of devices.

Whether it was a timing issue with particular devices or whether it was a timing issue with some particular bridge (and could affect any devices behind that bridge), who knows... It almost certainly was brought on by a borderline (or broken) northbridge, but it apparently only affected specific devices - which makes me suspect that it wasn't *entirely* due to just the northbridge, and it was a combination of things.

Pointer to such a report? The only single-device problems I'm aware of
are with some devices within the K8 integrated northbridge, which we
already handle. Other than that, the only non-global problems I'm aware
of are devices behind host bridges which can't receive/handle MMCONFIG
requests, in which case the problem would be bus-wide.

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from [email protected]