Re: RFC: outb 0x80 in inb_p, outb_p harmful on some modern AMD64 with MCP51 laptops

On 07-12-07 19:42, Alan Cox wrote:

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 19:45:25 +0100
Rene Herman <[email protected]> wrote:

On 07-12-07 18:19, Alan Cox wrote:

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:31:16 +0100
Andi Kleen <[email protected]> wrote:

You don't need to. Port 0x80 historically is about 8uS so just udelay(8)
and make sure the initial default delay is conservative enough before the
How would you make it conservative enough handling let's say a 6Ghz CPU
that can execute multiple jumps per cycle?
Pick a sane worst case and go with it at boot. We don't have to be
accurate before we tune udelay - over long in uSecs isnt going to hurt,
and most post boot _p's can be replaced by udelay(8) now
Isn't 8 generally a bit overly long? I believe the norm is 1?

8uS is an ISA bus transaction.

You very likely know better but just in case you're confused -- I thought it was 8 cycles...

Rene.