RE: __rcu_process_callbacks() in Linux 2.6

[James Huang]

Yes, this is the race condition that I am concerned about.

> I agree with Paul, there are smb_rmb's on cpu 3 between Step 1 and
Step 5:
> Either the test_and_set_bit in tasklet_action for rcu_process_callback
> if step 4 happens before the tasklet or somewhere in the irq handler
> path if step 4 happens in an irq handler that interrupted
> rcu_process_callback.
>
> Thus theoretically no additional smb_rmb() should be necessary.
> What is missing is proper documentation.

[James Huang]

Is it true that a smb_rmb() before a read operation (say from variable
X) will guarantee that the read will always retrieve the most "current"
value of X?   I can not find such a guarantee in atomic_ops.txt or
memory-barriers.txt under Linux's documentation directory.  What is
described in both documents is relative ordering, e.g.

            CPU1                       CPU2
           ------                     ------
          write X = x1
          smp_wmb()
          write Y = y1

                                      read Y
                                      smp_rmb()
                                      read X

Then CPU2 will read X with a value of x1 if it reads Y with a value of
y1.

Please point me to the right section in the document if smp_rmb() does
provide such a guarantee.

Thanks,
-- James Huang