Re: [bug] SLOB crash, 2.6.24-rc2

* David Miller <[email protected]> wrote:

> From: Matt Mackall <[email protected]>
> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:37:13 -0600
>
> > No, the usual strategy for debugging problems -outside- SLOB is to
> > switch to another allocator with more extensive debugging facilities.
>
> Ok, so the thing we still can do is do a dump_stack() at the list
> debugging assertion trigger points.

ok, i'll first try to trigger it again.

it's a bzImage kernel with fixed order of eth0 and eth1 detection. What
i did was to twiddle the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*
configs to address a network-does-not-show-up bug that .24 introduced.
The crash logs contain this:

 Freeing unused kernel memory: 396k freed
 Write protecting the kernel read-only data: 2056k
 udev: renamed network interface eth1 to eth0
 udev: renamed network interface eth0_rename to eth1
 eth0: link down
 ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
 EXT3 FS on sda6, internal journal
 kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds

followed by the crash shortly afterwards (but not immediately). With the
non-crashing kernel i dont get those "renamed network interface"
messages.

network interface renaming has been a historic source of pain for me so
i frequently have to 'twiddle' the networking config to make it work
again on new kernels. Perhaps because i'm using bzImage kernels.
User-space is Fedora 8, so fairly recent.

	Ingo