Re: [patch 2.6.24-rc2 1/3] generic gpio -- gpio_chip support

On Thursday 15 November 2007 06:19, Nick Piggin wrote:

> > > Obviously a raw spinlock is no different from a regular
> > > spinlock upstream.
> >
> > Erm, no.  The raw ones don't have the extra logic when
> > the lock gets dropped.
>
> If you don't have preemption disabled already, then it is a
> bug to use raw spinlocks. If you do have preemption disabled,
> then a regular spinlock isn't going to check preemption after
> the unlock either.

And I might add that this is just trying to nitpick at a weak link
in the argument rather than prove anything important.

Even if you are avoiding preemption checks in upstream kernels,
this is probably like several instructions to do. So if you're
avoiding this for preformance reasons, then something's not right.