How to do a pci-bus config scan manually?

Hallo!
I'm wondering if I could do a manual pci bus reset from kernel (or userspace)
with kernel 2.6.18.
The background is as follows: We have a self build pci-express card with
FPGA chip mounted on it. The FPGA can be programmend via an additional serial
interface, but the system becomes not aware of the changes made on the card.
On reloading my device driver module I get the same address mapping as before
but if I access the registers the behaviour is undefined.
I think this is because the FPGA disconnects from the pci bus while
programming. So I have to reboot the machine to reinit.
Is there a way to tell the kernel respectively the pci subsystem to do a
pci-bus config scan to recognize the changes without rebooting?
Have a good day, Peter