Re: iwl4965 and driver merging policy

On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 22:30 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> > It doesn't seem to pull any depedency nor affect any other external
> > piece of code unless I'm missing something, so it's a perfect
> example of
> > what we've been discussing back then: there is just no point not
> merging
> > it at any time right ? :-)
>
> It is queued for 2.6.24.  I'm not even sure it was originally posted
> in time for the 2.6.23 merge window, but even if it was there was
> a lot of opposition to merging it until fairly recently.  In fact,
> I'm sure there are still some wireless developers that are less than
> happy about merging it now.
>
> Anyway, coming soon to a kernel near you...

Allright, thanks. I was mostly trying to figure out where we standed
with this whole idea that driver additions were not necessarily
constrainted by the merge window (which I think is fair to do) and this
looked like a good example to pick since it affects my new laptop :-)

Out of curiosity, what's the main source of opposition ? Since it's
being shipped by distro or built out of tree by most users -anyway-, I
think it's pretty clear that we'd be better off having it merged asap
rather than trying to figure out what random version was included by
users/distros and try to support it, in addition to wider exposure & all
the yadada of being upstream in the first place.

Ben.