Re: Fork Bombing Patch

On Aug 29, 2007, at 09:49:01, Chris Snook wrote:
Like this there are many cases..(actually these cases has already been discussed On LKML 2 months before in my thread named "fork bombing
attack").  in all these cases this printk helps adminstrator a lot.

What exactly does this patch help the administrator do? If a box is thrashing, you still have sysrq. You can also use cpusets and taskset to put your root login session on a dedicated processor, which is getting to be pretty cheap on modern many-core, many- thread systems. Group scheduling is in the oven, which will allow you to prioritize classes of users in a more general manner, even on UP systems.

I've also set up systems where there is a carefully rate-limited SCHED_RR 98 ssh process (NIC interrupt thread is SCHED_RR 99) behind an additional set of rate-limiting rules in IPtables. Basically, no matter what somebody is doing to the workstation, even if I let them create as many processes as they want or get the box completely into a swap storm, I can "ssh -p 222 [email protected]". Once it connects I type in two passwords through a custom PAM plugin and then have my login script touch /etc/nologin and send SIGSTOP to every

The resource consumption issue is immediately over and I can go about kicking the user and filling out all the icky paperwork.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett