Re: UART misbehaves under Linkstation/KuroBoxHG

Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, Oncaphillis wrote:

 So that's ok ? No misconfiguration ? And that setserial tells
 me the port is 0x000 ?

Yes, everything looks ok, don't know why, setserial reports 0 here too, but it doesn't cause me any (visible) problems.

 I thought the dts file which
 comes with the linkstation kernel describes the ports and IRQs
 but poking there didn't change anything. It seems like the kernel
 is ignoring the serial settings in the dts-file (which I do not
 realy understand) all together.

Believe me, it doesn't ignore them:-) Don't know what exactly you were poking at there, but it should be quite easy to break it by changing clocks / address / irq...

  I started with a debian distro
  http://www.kurobox.com/mwiki/index.php/Debian_sylver

  Hmm I tried my very best to eliminate this everywhere. Actually I
  resurrected the ARV00 device by creating a soft link to a ttySx
  with during bootup within the udev filesystem.

  <snip>
        if [ ! -e /dev/AVR00 ];then
         cat /proc/tty/driver/serial | grep 80004500 | grep -q 0:
           && AVR=/dev/ttyS0 || AVR=/dev/ttyS1
         echo "Making AVR00 link to "$AVR;
         ln -s $AVR /dev/AVR00
        fi;
  </snip>

Stole the trick from the avr_evtd startup script...

Well, just do "ls -l /dev/AVR00", then "lsof /dev/ttyS0".

  Oh.... that's something I should have thought about (shaking my
  head)

  I hope I found the the misconfigured part. I didn't look
  at /etc/inittab. It opens a getty on /dev/ttyS0. That
  might do the trick. Have to recompile my kernel right now with
  standard config to check this out.

In principle, as mentioned elsewhere before, you don't need any daemons on linkstation/kurobox now for "basic" operation, i.e., the kernel disables the watchdog on startup, and properly sends reboot and power-off commands to the AVR itself without any userspace support. So, at least for a test, you could stop all those daemons. You need them though if you want to use the buttons to power down / reboot / whatever, do other fancy things with the AVR...

  Well ... it doesn't seem to need the daemons but at least
  the kuro_boot  script or something similar has to be executed
  once sending the right init strings to the AVR or your system
  reboots after a few minutes at least on my box.

Another possible reason why, for example, your stty misbehaves, maybe it is somehow broken in that distro? I am just using etch and things work pretty well.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski