Re: RFT: updatedb "morning after" problem [was: Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23]

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Nick Piggin wrote:

[email protected] wrote:
 On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Rene Herman wrote:

>  On 07/29/2007 01:41 PM, [email protected] wrote:
> > > I agree that tinkering with the core VM code should not be done > > lightly, > > but this has been put through the proper process and is stalled with > > no
> >   hints on how to move forward.
> > > It has not. Concerns that were raised (by specifically Nick Piggin) > weren't being addressed.

 I may have missed them, but what I saw from him weren't specific issues,
 but instead a nebulous 'something better may come along later'

Something better, ie. the problems with page reclaim being fixed.
Why is that nebulous?

becouse that doesn't begin to address all the benifits.

the approach of fixing page reclaim and updatedb is pretending that if you only do everything right pages won't get pushed to swap in the first place, and therefor swap prefetch won't be needed.

this completely ignores the use case where the swapping was exactly the right thing to do, but memory has been freed up from a program exiting so that you couldnow fill that empty ram with data that was swapped out.

David Lang