Re: commit 7e92b4fc34 - x86, serial: convert legacy COM ports to platform devices - broke my serial console

Andrew Morton wrote:
Well I queued up a tentative revert patch but then I re-read the changlog:

    x86, serial: convert legacy COM ports to platform devices
Make x86 COM ports into platform devices and don't probe for them
    if we have PNP.
This prevents double discovery, where a device was found both by
    the legacy probe and by 8250_pnp, e.g.,
serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
        00:02: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

If this actually causes a problem, then the drivers are buggy. We have standard APIs for checking this stuff...

Turning off legacy serial probing is just a bandaid, the resource bug is still there [by definition, if double-probing problems exist].

    This also means IRDA devices without a UART PNP ID will no longer be
    claimed by the serial driver, which might require changes in IRDA
    drivers and administration.

This was completely unaddressed, I presume?

    In addition to this patch, you may need to configure a setserial init
    script, e.g., /etc/init.d/setserial, so it doesn't poke legacy UART
    stuff back in.  On Debian, "dpkg-reconfigure setserial" with the "kernel"
    option does this.

So this patch breaks some userspace too?

    To force the old legacy probe behavior even when we have PNPBIOS or
    ACPI, load the new legacy_serial module (or build 8250 static) with
    the "legacy_serial.force" option.

So 7e92b4fc345f5b6f57585fbe5ffdb0f24d7c9b26 fixed a bunch of longstanding
nasties while breaking Sebastien's machine (at least).

We of course want the best of both worlds here, so I'll keep the revert
patch in -mm for a while, see what happens.  Although I can't immediately
see any way in which this can be fixed...

I see VERY few positives, a whole lot of trouble, and a couple band-aids.

	Jeff