Re: How innovative is Linux?

The real innotation in Linux is that it is open source and yet popular
enough that there are versions that even a windoze user could easily pick
up.

David Kane

On 6/23/07, Carlo Wood <[email protected]> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 04:46:08PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> Now if you want really innovative OS work go look in the lab or at
> projects most people have never heard of and don't run.

Hey, I heard of one. I got a few friends that are sitting
in an IRC channel and have been working on a complete new
OS from scratch for like 10 years now (kernel, filesystem,
graphics drivers, libraries - everything). I consider them
to be totally nuts of course.  When I ask them why are you
still doing this? Can't you use linux? Then the answer is
that there are still companies interested in operating
systems like that, precisely because they are not well-
known. It would be pretty hard to exploit vulnerabilities
in such a system (or that is their explanation anyway).

--
Carlo Wood <[email protected]>