Re: [AppArmor 38/45] AppArmor: Module and LSM hooks

On Monday 04 June 2007 13:35, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Mon 2007-06-04 13:25:30, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:

> > > vfs does not have configurable pathname limit, and I do not see what
> > > is so special about AA to require this kind of uglyness.
> >
> > You very well know that the vfs has a limit of PATH_MAX characters (4096)
> > for pathnames. This means that at most that many characters can be passed
> > at once.

What users can do is something like this:

  chdir("some/long/path");
  chdir("some/even/longer/path");

and the total length of the path can then exceed PATH_MAX characters. We can
only accept pathnames up to some upper limit, and we need to somehow define
what that limit is supposed to be. We could use PATH_MAX or some other
arbitrary number. In most situations PATH_MAX will be fine, but that's not
always guaranteed to be the case. So what's wrong about making this
configurable for special situations that we might run into? Module parameters
are *really* dead cheap.

Andreas