Re: [stable] Wanted: Allow adding new device IDs during the -stable cycle

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 03:17:18PM -0700, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

 > >  > >  I haven't found a single distro that (a) makes it trivial to add PCI IDs at
 > >  > >  install time, and then (b) ensures those PCI IDs remain persistent for each
 > >  > >  boot.  We are not at all to the "just works" stage yet.
 > >  >
 > >  > Well, SuSE handles this just fine, but I do notice that RHEL 5 disables
 > >  > the new_id stuff entirely, so I can see why you might get this
 > >  > impression :)
 > >
 > > That's news to me.  I didn't even realise it was possible to disable this.
 > > Pointer?
 >
 > Jon Masters told me this last week at FreedomHEC, so I don't have a
 > pointer to the patch that disables it, sorry.

Either there's some miscommunication, or bonghits.

(18:54:00:davej@gelk:kernel-2.6.18)$ kdiff vanilla/drivers/pci/pci-driver.c linux-2.6.18.noarch/drivers/pci/pci-driver.c
(18:54:10:davej@gelk:kernel-2.6.18)$

And as there's no CONFIG option other than CONFIG_HOTPLUG (which we obviously enable)
I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be enabled in RHEL5.
(And I think mdomsch would have probably had a fit if he found out we were
 disabling it, but that's another story ;-)

 > > Theres more to this than just PCI IDs though.
 > > ac97 ID updates, usb id updates, etc, etc.
 >
 > USB ids also can be added through sysfs :)

oh cool, I had missed that.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk