Re: Kernel Scalability

"Rajib Majumder" <[email protected]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if 2.4.x/2.6.x kernel is scalable enough to run on
> 8-CPU hardware. Do we have any scalability comparison data between
> 2.4/2.6 kernels and beyond 4-CPU?
>
> If yes, is the scalablity is near linear?

I haven't a clue what the data looks like but it is worth
noting that Linux runs on the SGI Altix and the large Unisys
machines, as well as large RISC machines.  So 128+ cpus seems
to work.

It depends on your application and what it stresses but scalability
isn't just a software issue.  It is also a hardware issue, and the
kernel can't scale linearly unless the hardware does as well.

Eric