Re: "partical" kthread conversion

Dean Nelson <[email protected]> writes:

> I'd typed up some questions for you about the new patch I need to create
> which I'd just sent to you, so I won't repeat them here.
>
> Before proceeding to far with your above changes, you might wait to see
> the proposal that Robin Holt is putting together for a kthread pool.
> I'm not sure how spawning a thread (which involves allocation of the
> task_struct amongst other things, plus scheduling) can beat a wake_up()
> of an already existing thread for cost time-wise.

A reasonable point, although if you don't happen to sleep in the allocations
I suspect time wise it's pretty much a wash.

I have some other reasons I might need the capability of clone a thread
from a non-parent process, and it has the potential to simplify some things
in the kthread case so I'm going to finish investigating, since I believe
I have figured out a path to that target.

Eric