Re: Reiser4. BEST FILESYSTEM EVER - Christer Weinigel

Wow, I'm impressed. Think you got the record on how many mails you referenced to in a reply... But dude, please calm down, the caps-lock is not the answer. You have got some rude answers and you have called them back on it + you have repeated the same statement several times, that is not the best way of convincing people.

I believe you picked up the "anti-Reiser religion"-phrase from previous rant-wars (otherwise, why does that "religion"-phrase always come up, and (almost) only when dealing with Reiser-fs), and yes, there has been some clashes caused by both sides, so please be careful when dealing with this matter.

Would you be willing to benchmark Reiser4 with some compressed binary-blob and show the time as well as the CPU-usage? And document how it is set up so it can be reproduced. After all, Windows is suppose to be more stable, maintained and cost-efficient then Linux, but they don't tell us how ;)

since it can't benefit as much from similarity between
files. So if that is the case and you really want to save diskspace you
almost have to look at read-only compressed filesystems such as cramfs,
squashfs, zisofs, cloop and various other variants in combination with
a unionfs overlay to get read/write functionality.

But in the end everything is a tradeoff. You can save diskspace, but
increase the cost of corruption.

You deliberately ignored the fact that bad blocks are NOT dealt with by
the filesystem,... but by the operating system. Like I said: If your
filesystem is writing to bad blocks, then throw away your operating
system.
I may have missed something, but if my room-mate took my harddrive, screwed it open, wrote a love-letter on the disk with a pencil and then returned it (ok, there may be some more plausible reasons for corruption), is the OS really suppose to handle it? Yes, it should not assign any new data to those blocks but should it not also fall into the file-systems domain to be able to restore some/all data?

Just my 2c to the pond
Richard Knutsson