Re: [RFC] New driver information

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 03:58:51PM +0200, Heikki Orsila wrote:
> I just read
>
> 	http://kerneltrap.org/node/7729
>
> and it occured to me that it would be informative to have a new device
> driver macro. The motivation for the new macro would be 4 issues:
>
> 	* Is it possible to get specifications for the device?
> 	* If yes, under what terms? (nda, public)
> 	* Where to get public specs?
> 	* How many closed and open drivers in the Linux source tree?
>
> I suggest to add following macro:
>
> MODULE_SPECIFICATION(terms, source);
>
> where "terms" is one of
>
>  * MODULE_SPEC_ANY_PARTY_NDA
> 	- specification available to any party for an NDA
>  * MODULE_SPEC_ANY_PARTY
> 	- specification available in public, or at least available
> 	  without NDA to any party
>  * MODULE_SPEC_RESTRICTED
> 	- none of the above
>
> and "source":
>
>  * contact address for nda specs
>  * any public source for a public specification (http://, email address,
>    ...)
>  * empty string otherwise
>
> I realise this macro somewhat circumvents the purpose of Documentation/
> directory but the idea is to have a direct 1:1 mapping between drivers
> and specification sources so that it would be easy to collect statistics
> of "open" hardware by using grep et al.
>
> What do you think? Useless annotations or useful information?

Useless, since noone will maintain this information (e.g. an
"email address" might no longer be valid several years from now, or a
company might change the policies for releaseing information).

And also useless since there doesn't seem to be a serious use case.

> Heikki Orsila

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.