Re: GPL vs non-GPL device drivers

> > Not one person is claiming they have a patent on whatever it is that
> > V J's company is putting out (especially since we have no idea what
> > that might be).  Patents != copyright.
>
> That's exactly what they're doing. Knowing only the *function* of his
> program, they are claiming it must obey their licensing terms. They have no
> idea exactly how he chose to implement that function, but claim they must
> own it anyway.

They are not claiming ownership of his code.  They are claiming ownership of THEIR
code.  V J is taking their code, adding on to it and selling the result.  Without
the GPL, V J cannot legally do this.  With the GPL, he can legally do this IF he
also gives out the complete source.  I fail to see how anything you are saying
absolves him of this requirement.

Joshua Simmons