APIC priorities, can they be changed?

I am not on the list (corperate email sucks) so please CC any replies to me. Thanks.

I am working on a project that has run in to what seems to be an interrupt priority problem. We switched mainboards in our product and went from a system where the EHCI controller IRQ was of a fairly high priority to one where its the lowest in the system. Now we cannot get the data off our USB device in time and we drop alot of data. I was hoping someone here may have a simple(ish) solution to the problem.

I have seen the preempt patches, but they touch a lot of files, and we have gone through testing with the 2.6.16.19 kernel and do not wish to change, and we cannot find a version of the patch for this kernel. Is there something smaller/simpler I can do? My understanding is the priority in the APIC is set in software via the interrupt vector number (higher numbers have lower priority) is this true? If so, how hard would it be for me to just change the vector numbers around?

Ideally I would love to switch to the 2.6.20 kernel and use the preempt patch, but I doubt we have the time for that.

Thanks,
Mike