Re: [patch 05/11] syslets: core code

* Linus Torvalds <[email protected]> wrote:

> > case. (but with some crazier hacks i got the one-shot atom overhead
> > [compared to a simple synchronous null syscall] to below 10 nsecs,
> > so there's room in there for further optimizations. Our current null
> > syscall latency is around ~150 nsecs.)
>
> You are not counting the whole setup cost there, then, because your
> setup cost is going to be at a minimum more expensive than the null
> system call.

hm, this one-time cost was never on my radar. [ It's really dwarved by
other startup costs (a single fork() takes 100 usecs, an exec() takes
800 usecs.) ]

In any case, we can delay this cost into the first cachemiss, or can
eliminate it by making it a globally pooled thing. It does not seem like
a big issue.

	Ingo