Re: NAK new drivers without proper power management?

Hi!

> > >I would disagree that it's a peripheral issue, it's pretty core these
> > >days, at least for any hardware that you can stuff in a laptop (though a
> > >fair number of desktops get suspended and resumed these days too).
> >
> > Servers are still the most important Linux market, and don't care
> > about suspend/resume.  I would consider implementing suspend./resume
> > for a driver that will only be used in server or HPC class hardware a
> > waste of valuable development resources.
>
>     Please allow me to be offensively blunt for a moment.
>
>     So, the situation seems to be:
>
>     1. The work of the suspend developer who engages the users who put
>        effort into making suspend work on their hardware (bless
>        their addled little heads) often doesn't meet kernel standards,
>        or isn't well enough documented to prove the real *need* for
>        the features and/or hacks that have happened to get actual
>        users' systems sleeping and running again.
>
>     2. The swsusp maintainer continues in the belief that as long as
>        their are no bug reports in kernel bugzilla or crossing the
>        (relatively obscure) swsusp mailing lists, it has zarro boogs
>        and meanwhile works on the fourth implementation of suspend
>        support in as many years.  It's in CVS on sourceforge.  There's
>        no documentation whatsoever.
>     4. "Everybody" knows suspend doesn't work on Linux without a huge
>        amount of tinkering, deep magic, and dead chickens.  Only
>        Gentoo users seem to bother; everyone else waits for Ubuntu
>        12.04 wherein suspend will "just work".  The Gentoo users all
>        use swsusp2, as it contains the hacks to work around:

Suspend just works in suse10.2 (and suse10.1, and suse10.0, ...)...
thanks to work seife did on pm scripts. It
is not my fault if it is broken on your distro.

>     6. Getting proper power-management support in Linux device drivers
>        is not a priority; drivers without any power management support
>        whatsoever should not only be accepted -- they should be merged
>        without comment or complaint.
>
>    How is working suspend support ever supposed to happen?

If people stopped sending rants and started sending patches... yep,
that would help. I don't have all the notebooks ever produced, sorry.

							Pavel