Re: forcedeth problems on 2.6.20-rc6-mm3

Ayaz Abdulla wrote:
> For all those who are having issues, please try out the attached patch.

Will try.
I reverted to 2.6.19 w/o suspend/resume patch last weekend to make
sure on 2.6.19 forcedeth is stable and noticed something odd:

Because I didn't include the suspend/resume patch I obviously had to
a down/rmmod/modprobe/up cycle after each resume and I noticed that
the behaviour seems to alternate between resumes:

Behaviour 1:
  After modprobe I get two interface 'eth0' and 'eth1' for the two
  ports, as expected.

Behaviour 2:
  After modprobe I get one interface 'eth3' (which should be 'eth1')
  and one interface with increasing numbers (which should be 'eth0',
  last resume it was 'eth12' IIRC).

As I said if I get behaviour 1 on one resume I get behaviour 2 on
the next resume and vice versa.  That seems rather odd to me.

On a not quite related note, forcedeth shows a different ethtool
output (compared to e100), when no cable is connected to the port:

forcedeth, no cable connected:
|Settings for eth1:
|	Supported ports: [ MII ]
|	Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
|	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
|	                        1000baseT/Full
|	Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
|	Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
|	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
|	                        1000baseT/Full
|	Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
|	Speed: Unknown! (65535)
|	Duplex: Unknown! (255)
|	Port: MII
|	PHYAD: 1
|	Transceiver: external
|	Auto-negotiation: on
|	Supports Wake-on: g
|	Wake-on: d
|	Link detected: no

e100, no cable connected:
|Settings for eth0:
|        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
|        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
|                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
|        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
|        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
|                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
|        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
|        Speed: 10Mb/s
|        Duplex: Half
|        Port: MII
|        PHYAD: 1
|        Transceiver: internal
|        Auto-negotiation: on
|        Supports Wake-on: g
|        Wake-on: g
|        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
|        Link detected: no

Note that e100 returns the lowest possible speed if no link is
detected, while forcedeth seems to return -1, which ethtool doesn't
seem to recognise as a valid response (I guess, why else would it
show the number after 'Unknown!').

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.uguu.de
このメールは十割再利用されたビットで作られています。