discussion of Kbuild fixes (kbuild: Kbuild.include avoid using spaces in call arguments)

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 01:00:44AM +0100, Roman Zippel wrote:
> Hi,

> > > Sorry, it needs more changes, the patch simply wasn't ready.
> >
> > Can you be more explicit?  and then it should get some time
> > in -mm, hopefully.
>
> I did already. It needs to be splitted,

i did that patch for ultrasonic testers of Linus's tree. Shame on me,
because, i was sure, that... whatever. This is where i thought, that i
almost understand it all, but another huge level of complexity was
revealed (even it's just a whitespace ;).

I've started to split changes,

> lose the symlink stuff and be more careful with whitespace. It probably
> could use a better name than checker-shell, e.g. autoconf calls this
> TRY_RUN, so something like this.

but i can't understand you, Roman, against:

-- `find | sort' in localversion (i insist on split between paths and
    files)

-- symlinks to /dev/null in option checking -- isn't it better to not
   have any (though cached) access to files on filesystem, instead of to
   /dev/null? cont.:

Anyway, i think, it's better than before, that now all is one place, and
can be named as you wish. Any further changes, like common `tmp'
directory are easy to fix. Readable form, easy to test/debug:

add `-x' to `set' or `echo >gcc-checks.txt', and you will get output, you wish.

IMHO it's good, while arch specific gcc checking already done (:

I wish to have more people to work on this (even with just comments),
because "Kbuild.include" was only first step to reduce bloated top
Makefile. Since then, it seems, Sam have more important things to do.

If further work is useful, i will be glad if you think so.

Thanks.
____