Re: [patch] MTD: fix DOC2000/2001/2001PLUS build error

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, David Woodhouse wrote:

> Really, if our config is set up in sensible submenus (as in general it
> _is_), the "see everything" behaviour really isn't bad.

There are two fundamental problems with that statement:

 - no, it really isn't always

   Quite often, our Kconfig files have dependencies that are about where
   the *code* exists, rather than about some nice hierarchical system.

   Think of it this way: would you use a programming language that didn't
   allow you anything but totally hierarcical language constructs? No sane
   person would - because real life isn't hierarchical. Yes, there are
   many things that are, but not all things are.

   Example: many cryptographic algorithms are in crypto/. But then a lot
   of them ARE NOT. They are in arch/so-and-so/crypto/ or similar. Notice?

   NOT HIERARCHICAL.

 - I don't use menus at all. I use the good old textual "make oldconfig".
   Trust me, I _want_ those irrelevant questions gone. They aren't "grayed
   out".

So you seem to have this *wish* that real life was different than it is.
But we aren't hierarchical, and even if we were, it *still* wouldn't work
the way you want things to work.

		Linus "reality bites" Torvalds