Re: Free Linux Driver Development!

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 08:37, Sunil Naidu wrote:
>On 2/5/07, Stefan Seyfried <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 03:14:31AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>> > On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 05:24:28PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
>>
>> Wrong. I abandoned all floppy drives some years ago. I'd actually
>> vote for removing the floppy driver from the kernel completely.
>
>I don't think time has come for that yet, still millions of people do
>use Floppy on Linux ;-)
>Maybe by 2.6.30 or so...

How about not even then?  There are few uses for the floppy drive today
within linux, this is true.  BUT, that floppy is often the only was
software can be gotten from a vintage computer and published, or from a
publishing site back to that vintage computer.  Please don't take away
our last data path to what is to many of us, a very old and trusted dear
friend.  OS9, and later Nitros9, on a TRS-80 Color Computer, was my
teacher about unix-like systems, running a multiuser/multitasking
operating system on a machine with only 64k of ram, although my current
machine has 2 megs in it.  And I occasionally still miss some of the
things I could do on that little machine that I have not been able to do
since, like start an assembly that generates an output listing, and
switch to another monitor or window & list that listing to the screen a
maximum of 256 bytes behind the writing of that listing to the disk file
it was going to.

The floppy may not be usefull to linux anymore, but in support of other
older formats, it is priceless.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)