Re: [patch 9/9] mm: fix pagecache write deadlocks

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Sun,  4 Feb 2007 09:51:07 +0100 (CET) Nick Piggin <[email protected]> wrote:
> > 2.  If we find the destination page is non uptodate, unlock it (this could be
> >     made slightly more optimal), then find and pin the source page with
> >     get_user_pages. Relock the destination page and continue with the copy.
> >     However, instead of a usercopy (which might take a fault), copy the data
> >     via the kernel address space.
>
> argh.  We just can't go adding all this gunk into the write() path.
>
> mmap_sem, a full pte-walk, taking of pte-page locks, etc.  For every page.
> Even single-process write() will suffer, let along multithreaded stuff,
> where mmap_sem contention may be the bigger problem.
>
> I was going to do some quick measurements of this, but the code oopses
> on power4 (http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/s5000402.jpg)
>
> We need to think different.

How about leaving the existing code with the following minor
modifications:

Instead of calling filemap_copy_from_user{,_iovec}() do only the atomic
bit with pagefaults disabled, i.e. instead of filemap_copy_from_user() we
would do (could of course move into a helper function of course):

pagefault_disable()
kaddr = kmap_atomic(page, KM_USER0);
left = __copy_from_user_inatomic_nocache(kaddr + offset, buf, bytes);
kunmap_atomic(kaddr, KM_USER0);
pagefault_enable()

if (unlikely(left)) {
	/* The user space page got unmapped before we got to copy it. */
}

Thus the 99.999% (or more!) of the time the code would just work as it
always has and there is no bug and no speed impact.  Only in the very rare
and hard to trigger race condition that the user space page after being
faulted in got thrown out again before we did the atomic memory copy do we
run into the above "..." code path.

I would propose to call out a different function altogether which could do
a multitude of things including drop the lock on the destination page
(maintaining a reference on the page!), allocate a temporary page, copy
from the user space page into the temporary page, then lock the
destination page again, and copy from the temporary page into the
destination page.

This would be slow but who cares given it would only happen incredibly
rarely and on majority of machines it would never happen at all.

The only potential problem I can see is that the destination page could be
truncated whilst it is unlocked.  I can see two possible solutions to
this:

1) Invent a new page flag and run "SetDoNotTruncatePage()" before dropping
the page lock, then modify truncate code paths to check for page locked
and the new flag and not truncate a page if the new flag is set, just like
they would if it was locked.  Basically treat the two bits as equivalent
for truncate purposes.

I think 1) would be best but a possible alternative would be:

2) Make commit write check whether a page has been truncated and if so
make it abort the operation/transaction (or non-journalling file systems
can probably just ignore the call completely).  Then simply restart the
generic_file_buffered_write() call by faulting the user space page in
again, etc.  And this time round things will just work again.  I guess it
would be possible that we hit the same race condition again and again and
again so we would loop for ever but the chances for that are even less
than the original race condition.  I suppose to guard against it we could
have a counter that say limited to X retries and if that failed the write
would be aborted with -EDEADLOCK or something.  As I said I think 1) would
be nicer...

What do you think?

Best regards,

	Anton