Re: [RFC] Pack the vfsmount and dentry in nameidata into a struct path

On Sat, 3 February 2007 14:25:37 -0800, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:

> While we store the (dentry, nameidata) in struct file as a struct path, we do
> not do so in struct nameidata at the moment. Here is a patch that changes
> that. The changes are syntactic only; gcc should generate identical code.
>
> So what is this good for?
>
> Well, we currently pass around (dentry, vfsmount) pairs in a number of places.
> With this change, these pairs of objects are embedded in a struct path for
> all file lookup oprations or open files. We could start passing around struct
> paths instead of (dentry, vfsmount) pairs, without having to construct
> temporary struct path objects. This could lead to nice code cleanups. The
> struct paths could be passed by value or by reference.
>
> Opinions?

On its own, I don't like this patch too much.  It is just a form of
mental masturbation that complicates the source.

> -	inode = nd.dentry->d_inode;
> +	inode = nd.path.dentry->d_inode;

However, once we start passing struct path by reference, it should
result in a smaller binary.  So if this patch is followed by others, as
you indicated, and the overall result is a measurably smaller binary,
I'm all for it.

Jörn

--
Joern's library part 1: