Re: Free Linux Driver Development!

Roland Dreier wrote:
I thought you wrote tg3 without docs and without help from Broadcom?

We had docs and Broadcom's GPL'd driver.

To repeat, my point is that the drivers used most by users of
enterprise distros will get written with or without vendor docs or
help.  Drivers for hardware that only a few people care about probably
won't be written and definitely won't be maintained by volunteers even
if the vendor publishes docs.  And I think that's pretty much what I
said in both of the paragraphs you quoted above.

You're changing your story. After first over-simplifying what Greg posted, you were complaining about Greg being disingenuous, when in fact Greg was doing nothing but describing (in a new and different way) how Linux drivers are already written.

Furthermore, presuming that drivers "definitely won't be maintained by volunteers" is rather presumptuous considering that volunteers are lining up, according to Greg.

I'm glad I didn't have a negative nelly like you around when I first got into fbdev driver hacking, my entry into the Linux kernel world. "Don't bother, son, nobody wants you around anyway."

	Jeff