Re: unfixed regression in 2.6.20-rc6 (since 2.6.19)

Greg KH <[email protected]> writes:

[...]

> Rainer's problem is a real bug in the USB driver code, which we need to
> work on getting fixed,

[...]

To clarify this: My 'problem' was that my USB-to-serial converter
stopped working with the 2.6.19 release end of November 2007. It
wasn't until end of December that I could spend some time apart from
my day job, whose main occupation has been kernel programming since October,
albeit for the 2.4 kernels used in the devices I am responsible for, to
track this down (took around a workday, because I had never seen the
respective code before) and to implement a fix that I am using since
then.

While I would prefer to not have to maintain private patchsets for
kernels I just want to use, this has never really been possible since
1998 or so, when a well-meaning person dropped 'rst provoking' from
the dynip support code without me noticing it before it had costed me
some 500 DM in additional telephone costs, meaning, except that the necessity
for this makes me 'philosophically unhappy', I can use my device
again and there is no 'problem' anymore.