Re: [Ksummit-2007-discuss] 2007 Linux Kernel Summit

> From: "Dave Airlie"
> Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
> Subject: Re: [Ksummit-2007-discuss] 2007 Linux Kernel Summit
> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:44:49 +1100
[]
>> Rather, than "business class ;-)", i whould like to see comments about
>> good quality video coverage of the KS, which (KS) is that, as you
>> described here:
>>

> KS isn't a conference that lends itself to recording ppl a lot of
> people seem to think it is like a mini-OLS or mini-LCA, it is more
> discussion based (or at least should be...), it isn't held in a
> lecture theatre, people aren't meant to do slides beyond talking
> points....

1. To setup quality coverage, is hard and (i think) expensive (news media
company needed). Hackers with webcams, where nothing can be seen and
heard, isn't that i expect in the 21th century, the century of the
telecommunication.

2. It's believed to be "high bandwidth" discussion, and i think it's much
better, than slides, talk, (?wtf was in)Q/(here's your)A. Because this
may obligate you to think fast, to think what you (invited person) say,
and say what you think.

3. As for everyone, who listen English speech only in Hollywood
movies (yea, that's me, and i'm writing this to you now ;), such kind of
conversation with fights, debates, etc. is a worth material. (I don't
want to compare this to _some_ scientific confs, where people reading
their mouney-has-been-spent-OK reports).

> It mainly involves ppl sitting around tables talking about stuff with
> some mics... I think we could hold KS as an open non-invite event if
> it wasn't attached to a major conference and was held somewhere no-one
> wants to go :-)

4. If there will be good ideas and real items for TODOs, technical
details, fun, etc. why not to share it? Do you have something to hide, or
you think, after seeng that, some employer will shrink somebody's travel
budget (:?

I think Linux Kernel has just became mature, as its long-time developers
have. And i think, mini/maxi conferences must become more mature ether.

And donig paper work here, like slides, abstracts, articles, isn't a
first requirement (again, after the end of the Cold War, cheap PC,
Microsoft Word in the Windows, the most scientific work had finallt
became A Paper Work (patent pending)). AFAIK Linus doen't like this
either, rather than to (verbally) discuss things.

Maybe [1] isn't that companies, like Red Hat, will like to do,
because, this is part of their paid business, but [2]-[4] may have
more weight against this.

____