Re: [Proposal] 2.6.18-stable release plans?

Sunil Naidu wrote:
> I have to dig deep into the patch & kernel version to understand what
> are the features/implementations or fixes (patch).  Problem here is 2
> ways:-
>
> 1) Identifying which is a better kernel (features) for
> Desktop/Embedded/Server (I know, info mentioned in Changelog. But
> still...)
>
> 2) Easily knowing which stable patch applies for which arch or sub
> system (better way)
>
> Proposal: Can maintainers implement this for better understanding of
> the Linux community (picking the best kernel or patch for the
> requirement) by adding a column on www.kernel.org home page?

This would be hard to organize and support. There are news sites like
LWN which give outlines of important kernel changes, and there are
mailinglists or community sites for architectures or driver subsystems
if you are interested in special platforms or drivers, and there is the
git repository metadata (via gitweb or directly from a locally cloned
git repo).

I for one am actually posting release notes to a users' mailinglist of
the drivers I'm interested in. But I can do this only because these are
drivers with very low rate of fixes or feature additions.

It's also not only a question of who writes such release notes, but also
of who the intended audience is. How fine-grained should the release
notes be?

Anyway --- if in doubt, your distributor's current kernel is the best one.
--
Stefan Richter