Re: SATA hotplug from the user side ?

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Does SATA electrical conector keying let the disk firmware unload
> > heads before the user manages to pull it out enough to sever power?
>
> I don't think so.

Heh, thought as much. (Good) SCSI hotswap bays notice you pulled the disk
release lever and issue an START_STOP_UNIT by themselves to the disk well
before you have time to start pulling the disk out.  I wonder if the SATA
ones do (I kind of doubt that, SATA seems to attract the el-cheapo, el-crapo
crowd of manufacturers).

> > If it does not, the drive will do an emergency head unload, which is
> > not good and will likely reduce the drive's lifetime.
>
> Probably.

So, that means it should be explained in the docs that you are to stop the
disk first, if you can.

> > Using hdparm -Y before the unplug, or scsiadd -r (on a kernel that
> > has Tejun's new patch to optionally issue an START_STOP_UNIT to the
> > SCSI device enabled) is probably a good idea.  Unless it is a shared
> > SATA port (I don't know if such a thing exists yet) and another box
> > is talking to the disk, etc.
>
> Agreed.  But it would be *much* better if all these can be taken care of
> by hald and its minions.  Such that the user can just tell the system
> that the hdd is going to be removed and all these dirty tricks are done
> automagically.

Even if hald does this automatically, it would still be a very good idea to
document the proper sequence, IMO...

  Henrique Holschuh