Re: [ANNOUNCE] System Inactivity Monitor v1.0

Hi!

>    > +if [ ! -d "/proc/sin" ]; then
>    > +    echo "/proc/sin not found, has sinmod been loaded?"
>    > +    exit
>    > +fi
>
>    No new /proc files, please.
>
> This was merely a prototype realized in a hurry, not a production
> driver. Really, I did't think it could be interesting for anybody.
>
> Would be /sys ok?

If it has to be in kernel, /sys/power is probably ok. But I still
believe it can be out.

Yes, I believe it is interesting: on modern machine, you want to
control keyboard illumination, lower backlight after short inactivity,
turn screen off after longer one, etc...

>    Heh. We'll waste power trying to save it.
>
> Well, not just a power saver. For example I use SIN to auto-logoff my bash
> session as well (detaching the screen session.)

Ok, ok :-).

>    If you have to hook it into kernel, can you at least do it properly?
>
> Of course. You can find attached a patch fixing this. Now SIN wakes up just
> when it expects to do something: if in the meantime the user interacts with the
> system, SIN simply recalculates the next wake-up time on the basis of the last
> user's activity date and goes to sleep again.

Good.
							Pavel