Re: intel 82571EB gigabit fails to see link on 2.6.20-rc5 in-tree e1000 driver (regression)

Auke Kok wrote:
Adam Kropelin wrote:
I haven't been able to test rc5-mm yet because it won't boot on this
box. Applying git-e1000 directly to -rc4 or -rc5 results in a number
of rejects that I'm not sure how to fix. Some are obvious, but the
others I'm unsure of.

that won't work. You either need to start with 2.6.20-rc5 (and pull
the changes pending merge in netdev-2.6 from Jeff Garzik),

I thought that's what I was doing when I applied git-e1000 to 2.6.20-rc5, but I guess not.

or start
with 2.6.20-rc4-mm1 and manually apply that patch I sent out on
monday. A different combination of either of these two will not work,
as they are completely different drivers.

I'll try to work something out.

can you include `ethtool ethX` output of the link down message and
`ethtool -d ethX` as well? I'll need to dig up an 82572 and see
what's up with that, I've not seen that problem before.

ethtool output attached.

More importantly, I suspect that *again* the issue is caused by
interrupts not arriving or getting lost.

Smells that way to me, too.

Can you try running with MSI disabled in your kernel config?

That fixes it! The link comes up and tx/rx works well. I get about 300 Mbps using default iperf settings with a nearby windows box.

FYI the driver gives an interrupt to signal to the driver that link
is up. no interrupt == no link detected. So that explains the symptom.

Yep, makes sense. I've worked with a number of PHYs like that.

--Adam