Re: EDAC chipkill messages

Robert Hancock wrote:
Orion Poplawski wrote:
Can someone please explain to me what these mean?

EDAC k8 MC1: general bus error: participating processor(local node origin), time-out(no timeout) memory transaction type(generic read), mem or i/o(mem access), cache level(generic) EDAC MC1: CE page 0xfbf6f, offset 0x4d0, grain 8, syndrome 0xc8f4, row 1, channel 0, label "": k8_edac
EDAC MC1: CE - no information available: k8_edac Error Overflow set
EDAC k8 MC1: extended error code: ECC chipkill x4 error

Thanks!

Sounds like you're having some memory ECC errors.. some Memtest86, etc. runs may be in order. You may be able to figure out from this info what DIMM is having the problem.

That was my assumption as well, but was hoping someone could decode the above information and point me to the problem chip. I ran Memtest86 overnight but found no problems, but don't know if it needs to run in a particular ECC mode.

This is a dual proc 275 system with 4 1GB DIMMs. Guessing that MC1 is the controller on the second CPU. Would row 1 be the second DIMM?