Re: Ext3 mounted as ext2 but journal still in effect.

>> You were right, even after making the changes, it seems to be
>> telling lies:
>>
>> # mount
>> /dev/hda2 on / type ext2 (rw,usrquota)

Roughly speaking:
/etc/mtab shows you what you said to mount.
/proc/mounts shows what the current kernel state is.
These may differ greatly.

For all filesystems mounted by you using mount(8), a line is added
to /etc/mtab, where the contents of that line is related to the
given mount command, but not to what the kernel did.

For the root filesystem, mount(8) writes an initial line in /etc/mtab
taken from /etc/fstab. Again the information is from you, not from the kernel.

>> # dmesg | grep 'Kernel command'
>> Kernel command line: ro root=/dev/hda2 rootfstype=ext2
>> /dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0

It would be a bad bug if the kernel mounted its root filesystem
with a type different from the type given in "rootfstype=".
But I see you use an initrd, and there can be all kinds of commands there.