Re: Weird harddisk behaviour

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 11:09:21AM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Quoting Ken Moffat <[email protected]>:
>
> >  Certainly, fdisk from util-linux doesn't know about mac disks, and
> > I thought the same was true for cfdisk and sfdisk.  Many years ago
> > there was mac-fdisk, I think also known as pdisk, but nowadays the
> > common tool for partitioning mac disks is probably parted.
>
> Yes. See now that 'fdisk' is a softlink to 'mac-fdisk'...

 Sorry for not replying earlier, cutting the Cc: list on lkml is not
always conducive to quick replies.

 So, you were using a valid tool, but what you put in your original
mail shows garbage - something like apple_partition_ma[mamama...
followed later by some garbage which could admittedly have been UTF-8
getting trashed in the mail.  I'm on my ibook at the moment, which
has an old debian mac-fdisk on another partition.  If I chroot to
that and look at the disk I see things like

/dev/hda
        #                    type name                 length   base     ( size )  system
/dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                    63 @ 1        ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/hda2         Apple_Bootstrap untitled               1954 @ 64       (977.0k)  NewWorld bootblock

 and so forth.  Notice that everything there is in legible ascii and
can be read with sensible values.  If what you actually see is
similar, then it's just a problem in the mail.  But if it isn't,
somehow the data on the disk (or the data being read from it) is
corrupt.

ĸen