Re: sonypc with Sony Vaio VGN-SZ1VP

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 11:09:44AM +0100, Stelian Pop wrote:

> > > How long is this going to take ?
> >
> > How about 2.6.21?
>
> Good news !
>
> > What needs to happen is
> > 1. a maintainer for sony_acpi.c needs to step forward
> >     I can't do this, I'm not allowed to be in the reverse engineering business.
>
> Well, I can't do this either, because I just don't have the required
> hardware anymore.
>
> If someone want to step forward now it is a great time !

I have the hw and I'd be happy to do some basic working on the code
but:
- I'll probably need some help;
- I'll have an almost-blackout between the end of February and the end
  of April as I'm moving to a different country and I'll need some time
  before I can be active again (I hope I'll have at least easy mail
  access for all the time though).
Anyway if it is still ok I can maintain the thing, to months seems
enough to give the driver a shape.

> > 2. /proc/acpi/sony API needs to be deleted
> >
> > 3. source needs to move out of drivers/acpi, and into drivers/misc along with msi.

And turn extra-backlight features into platform_device stuff? So 2 and 3
can come together.

Moreover, I own an SZ72B and an older GR7 and have come to the same
findings of Cacy, plus a patch to allow a smarter "debug" mode.
So, how to proceed? (I've just cloned the linux-acpi-2.6 tree)

Thanks Len, Thanks Stelian
--
mattia
:wq!