Re: Binary Drivers

Robert Hancock wrote:
Nikolaos D. Bougalis wrote:
Manufacturers design product as they see fit and offer it on the market; I don't see nVidia or ATI thugs twisting your arm behind you as you walk down the aisle of Fry's Electronics saying "buy this nice card we made or I'll break your arm."

If you need high-performance 3D they might as well be, as realistically ATI and NVIDIA are the only providers of high-performance video for the consumer market. Nobody else makes anything that competes, not even onboard video chipsets like Intel, SiS, etc.

My point was that nowadays most manufacturers, as a matter of course, do not provide full details on how the hardware is programmed, and there appears to be no significant market for high-performance 3D graphics with an open specification.

I do not like owning a space heater with nifty DVI outputs, and that is a fact I take into account when I make a purchasing decision for graphics cards I will be using with Linux.

But I realize that ultimately, companies respond to markets, and not idealism and know that ACME Hardware will publish the specs for their rocket-shoes when the piece of the Linux rocket-shoe pie becomes lucrative enough. And because I do, I try to change the market and educate consumers -- not browbeat companies or turn the piece into a crumble by limiting what consumers can do.

	-n