Re: Binary Drivers

On 12/22/06, Wolfgang Draxinger <[email protected]> wrote:
Am Freitag, 22. Dezember 2006 20:22 schrieb Rok Markovic:
> Hi!
>
> Maybe this does not belong to this thread, but I am wondering why
> manufactorers doesn't want to release specifications about drivers....

You're not alone, I think everybody who knows, how things in a
computer work shares this view.
---

Two of the specific arguments I've heard are (a) that the board (and
its hardware interfaces that the documentation would describe) involve
IP licensed from a third party, which the board manufacturer does not
have a legal right to disclose, or (b) that there is, in fact, no
suitable documentation, because the boards are developed somewhat
fluidly and the driver is developed directly from low-level knowledge
that simply isn't written down in a form suitable for passing on.

If you're building products with no expectation of supporting outside
driver developers, both of those are quite possible.

scott