Re: Binary Drivers

Am Freitag, 22. Dezember 2006 20:22 schrieb Rok Markovic:
> Hi!
>
> Maybe this does not belong to this thread, but I am wondering why
> manufactorers doesn't want to release specifications about drivers.
> They have decided to develop some hardware for, let say 3D
> accelaration. Now they are selling hardware and users are buying
> hardware. Users are not buying hardware because they want to run
> mighty drivers, they want to use hardware.

You're not alone, I think everybody who knows, how things in a
computer work shares this view.

> 1. Why they do not reveal spec. if user allready bought hardware,
> though they give driver for free but not specs.
>
> 2. Who can contribute if they reveal specifications (how to use
> hardware) ?
>

> Can anyone answer does questions?

A few years ago I had some closer contact with a driver developer of a
well known consumer HW manufacturer hunting down some nasty bugs I
discovered and developed workarounds for. From him I know, that most
developers and engineers would have no problem to disclose the
hardware specifications. The real hinderers are legal affairs and -
suprisingly - marketing departments; with little more knowledge about
the internals of their products, for them _everything_ created within
the company is considered as not to be leaked, valuable information
by them.

Wolfgang Draxinger